Thursday, May 22, 2014

Cinnamon Rolls

After pushing back this recipe for sometime, I finally attempted my first trial in making these Cinnamon Rolls. My sister pretty much loves cinnamon rolls and she was the one who gave me the idea of making them. Oh wait, did I mention before I have two sisters? Since my previous baking post on Lemon Glazed Vanilla Pound Cupcakes was inspired by the elder of my two younger sisters, I shall dedicate these Cinnamon Rolls to my youngest sister. *_*

Cinnamon Rolls

Many of the recipes online involves double-proofing of the dough. Thankfully my diligent research paid off and I found this easy recipe that required only one time proofing. Though I have not tried one made from a double-proofing method, the cinnamon rolls made from this one rise method were just as tasty and definitely a must-try recipe, especially suitable for first-time bakers. While these rolls were slightly over-baked by me, I consider my first attempt an above average pass with rooms for improvement in terms of the fluffy texture (keep in mind not to roll out the dough too thinly). Meanwhile, I have also discovered an interesting guide about kneading which is worth reading. Now, wait no longer and get your hands dirty by trying out these yummy cinnamon rolls at home today. ^_^

I am sharing this post with the event, Little Thumbs Up (May 2014: Milk) organised by Bake For Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY hosted by Tze of Awayofmind Bakery House.


I am also sharing this post with The Biscuit Barrel Challenge (May 2014: Favourites) organised by Laura of I'd Much Rather Bake Than… because this is my youngest sister's favourite!


Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe referenced and modified from: Sally's Baking Addiction

Ingredients Required

Rolls
2-3/4 cups (345g) all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 package (2-1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
2-1/2 tablespoons (40g) unsalted butter
1 large whole egg 

Filling
3 tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar

Glaze
1 cup (120g) powdered (confectioners') sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons (30 ml) milk
(alternatively, substitute milk with strong coffee to make coffee glaze)

Bakeware Used

9-inch round pan

Preparation Steps

Making the dough* and filling
  1. Set aside 1/2 cup of the flour. 
  2. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside.
  3. Heat water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted and the mixture is hand-hot (about 115-120 degrees F). 
  4. Stir the butter mixture into the dry mixture. Add the egg and only enough of the reserved flour to make a soft dough. Dough will be ready when it gently pulls away from the side of the bowl and has an elastic consistency.
  5. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 3 to 4 minutes. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for about 10 minutes.
  6. After 10 minutes, roll the dough out into a 14x8-inch rectangle on a lightly floured table top. 
  7. Spread the softened butter on top of the dough. 
  8. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar until they are evenly combined and sprinkle it all over the dough on top of the butter. Add more cinnamon/sugar if desired. 
  9. Roll up the dough tightly into a log 
  10. Cut into 11 even pieces and place in a lightly greased 9-inch round pan.
  11. Loosely cover the pan with aluminium foil and allow to rise in a warm, draft-free place for 60 to 90 minutes. (TIP: Heat the oven to 200 degrees F. Turn oven off. Place pan inside oven and allow to rise),
  12. After the rolls have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned. (TIP: Cover the rolls with aluminium foil after 15 minutes into baking to avoid heavy browning).
  13. Right before serving, top cinnamon rolls with glaze.
Making the glaze
  1. Whisk the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth and drizzle over rolls. (TIP: If you prefer a thicker glaze, add more powdered sugar and then add salt to cut the sweetness, if desired).
*The dough may be made the night before up to step 10. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the fridge overnight. The next morning, remove from the fridge and let rise, about 1 hour before baking.

 
Spreading the butter and sprinkling the cinnamon sugar on top of the dough.

The Dream Baker's Experiment
  1. I used 2% reduced fat milk for the dough and glaze, and substituted butter with margarine (contains 80% vegetable oil) for the dough and filling (so that my husband gets to try the rolls too since he doesn't take butter).
  2. I used a large egg measuring approximately 55 grams (without shell) and lightly beaten before adding to the mixture.
  3. I rolled the dough into an oversize rectangle (larger than the recommended size) and ended up cutting into 22 pieces each approximately 1-inch thick. I realised it is important to follow the recommended dimensions when rolling out the dough so that the baked rolls will have a thicker and fluffier texture.
  4. I let the rolls rise for 90 minutes and baked the rolls one rack above the bottommost rack in the preheated oven to prevent the top from browning too quickly. 
  5. I baked the rolls for full 25 minutes (varies across different oven) which I considered over-baking. It is important not to over-bake otherwise the rolls (especially its edges) will become slightly hard and crispy instead of fluffy.

Before the rolls rise (left picture), after letting the rolls rise for 90 minutes (centre picture) and after baking the rolls (right picture). 

These cinnamon rolls are just perfect to be eaten at any time of the day. ^_^ Enjoy!

Dare to dream.
The Dream Baker

2 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful sister you are! I'm sure a lot of people wil be intrigued by your single prooving method too =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thanks much! And I do hope this one rise method could help many fulfil their cravings for homemade cinnamon rolls too. :)

      Delete